Exploration of spirituality, relationships, gender, orientation, politics, with alot of humor...basically whatever I feel like writing about.

Monday, April 21

A Rainer Maria Rilke Poem

By the German poet, one of my very favorites, Rilke--

You see, I want a lot.
Perhaps I want everything:
the darkness that comes with every infinite fall
and the shivering blaze of every step up.

So many live on and want nothing,
and are raised to the rank of prince
by the slippery ease of their light judgments.

But what you love to see are faces
that do work and feel thirst.

You love most of all those who need you
as they need a crowbar or a hoe.

You have not grown old, and it is not too late
to dive into your increasing depths
where life calmly gives out its own secret.

(written somewhere between 1899-1903)

1 comment:

Ruth Eliz said...

What a beautiful expression of what living really is. Colonel Mustard thank you for introducing me to Rainer Maria Rilke's work. Here are my favorite quotes that seem to fit this theme of really living.
Surviving is important. Thriving is ELEGANT. - Maya Angelou
To open your heart means risking it all - to experience great joy and profound sorrow. - Tom Mathews
I've had the profound sorrow so now I am looking for the great joy and I'm slowly finding it. 'Seek and ye shall find knock and it shall be open unto you.' - Jesus