Exploration of spirituality, relationships, gender, orientation, politics, with alot of humor...basically whatever I feel like writing about.

Monday, April 14

Barack Obama's Philadelphia speech on racism

I was unable to upload my downloaded copy of Obama's Philadelphia speech...so I'm providing a link for you. If you have not taken the chance to watch his speech, and even if you do not intend to vote for the man, I highly encourage you to watch it. Not because I think it might change your mind or something along those lines, but because it will, I guarantee it, go down in history and one of the greatest American speeches on racism and American politics.

"...Words on a parchment would not be enough to deliver slaves from bondage, or provide men and women of every color and creed their full rights and obligations as citizens of the United States. What would be needed were Americans in successive generations who were willing to do their part – through protests and struggle, on the streets and in the courts, through a civil war and civil disobedience and always at great risk - to narrow that gap between the promise of our ideals and the reality of their time."


http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/hisownwords/

1 comment:

Ruth Eliz said...

Truly an awesome speech! Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if it will be enough to get him to the White House but the message, justice for all, is always needed to bring a hope that we can be the change for a better future.