Exploration of spirituality, relationships, gender, orientation, politics, with alot of humor...basically whatever I feel like writing about.

Friday, April 25

a little addendum

I'd like to add a clarification on my April 19th post...the "if/then" post.
I realize that not everyone is inside my head (thank goodness...for both of us). I'd want to fill in a tiny gap and let you know that the girl band, the Indigo Girls, were the real impetus for that post. You see, years ago, when I was a brand new Christian, the Indigo Girls became a musical phenom. Two of my good friends who sang beautifully together called themselves the Indigo Squirrels. I speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't alone in my love for their harmonies. Word was, among the Christian circles, that they were Christians. We certainly combed their lyrics for any sign of Jesus.

One day someone informed me that she thought they were gay women. My response?

"No way! They can't be. They're Christians."

Thus began my long struggle to come to the surface. My post may have sounded as if I was being unkind to inflexible Christians who may believe that one cannot be gay, in love with God, and remain in his will. Or maybe it sounded like I was being unfair to others who believe that if you're a gay Christian it is a betrayal of your very identity as a homosexual because Christianity emboldens and promulgates prejudice and even violence against gays.

But really, I was speaking of me. I am the one who has said "if you're Christian, you can't be gay." I've thought it impossible to be both at once. My perspective began to be altered in 1992 when I first admitted to God that I had fallen madly in love with another woman. My perspective has gradually been changed over time. Like so many things, I have found it impossible to remain rigid and inflexible with regards to oh so many things out of my control.

I thought I'd clear that up. I am intimately acquainted with every possible argument against homosexuality. I'm just saying that no one can argue the point better.

By the way, both girls of the Indigo Girls band are gay. But they are not together as many have surmised. They have become representatives of the gay community. They have several songs that speak powerfully about being gay in our world today...but really, their songs are about life. Now, for your listening entertainment...the Indigo Girls... (can you find Jesus?)

No comments: