Exploration of spirituality, relationships, gender, orientation, politics, with alot of humor...basically whatever I feel like writing about.

Wednesday, June 4

way of the cross devotion: station #1

This is Station #1

Agony in the Garden

This is the garden where Jesus prayed, bled, agonized, wept, and plead with His Father. He was fully aware of what was ahead of Him—betrayal, violence, pain, and eventual separation from His Father. He repeatedly asked if this was really the path God wanted for Him.

He said: “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.” Mt 26:38

Author Max Lucado has written that in the garden Jesus was, “perhaps never more human than at this hour, never nearer to us than when he hurt.









As your own journey through the next 8 devotionals begins, enter into this experience today by reading from Scripture, and with Jesus pray:


My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will...may your will be done.” Mt 39 & 42

Pray again:
This is for me. Every step of suffering that day over 2000 years ago was for me. That I might be free. That I might have eternal life. As this journey begins I ask to be with Jesus. To follow in his footsteps. I follow with gratitude and humility.

(1) Gauguin
(2) Unknown artist, Africa
(3) Stained glass depiction of the "cup"
(4) El Greco
(5) Unknown artist

1 comment:

Kristin said...

beautiful art - thanks for sharing :) Kristin