Exploration of spirituality, relationships, gender, orientation, politics, with alot of humor...basically whatever I feel like writing about.

Friday, June 5

the orphanages: part I

"An or-phan-age." I said too loudly to the stunned Chinese professor.

"You know, orphan children who don't have mother's or father's go to a home and people take care of them." I drew the shape of a building hoping that would jog her interest in my query.

"Oh, I don't know of such place. No, no place like that here. Not here in China." I was skeptical of her reply, based on the emphasis she put on "China" being devoid of parentless children. For I knew orphanges were in China. And I was just as sure that they were hidden from the public eye.

I was frustrated since this was the tenth Chinese national I'd talked to unsuccessfully about orphanages. I'd entered China three weeks earlier and in my 25 year old heart a passion was growing impatient. I was becoming aware of two possibilities: 1) that the people I'd inquired of about the existance of a local orphanage really did not know that orphanages existed in China because the government successful convinced the public otherwise, or, 2) my interviewees were hiding the fact for fear of trouble with the local officials if they shared any information to a foreigner (especially an American) about an orphanage.

Over time, as I eventually became involved with a local orphanage, I came to believe option number 2 was the most likely possibility due to the local government's interest and hostility towards my and any local Chinese citizens' involvement.

Why am I telling you this story? It isn't as random as it might appear. I am still seeing the fruits of the passion that led me from the Mexican orphanage, "Casa de la Esperanza", in Tijuana to the orphanage in Nanchang, China. In all humility I tell you that I became an inadvertant instigator of events far far larger than me. Though I have no further involvement I see the results even here in America, even here today, and in the lives of people I've met after I returned.

In fact today I will see my second young Chinese American adoped from the orphanage I worked in back in 1991-92. It get's better. Let me tell you the story of Chris.

After fruitless inquiries of random people, some American friends who taught at the Medical University told me, "We have a Chinese friend who is an Engligh professor here at the school. He goes to the orphanage every now and then." They introduced us and we immediately fell into a friendship. Little did I know that friendship would lead to his eventual arrest, and that our involvement with the orphanage would begin to change to course of history for thousands of orphans in the province.

Chris (which was his chosen English name) was an orpan himself. He and his sister became orphans when both of their parents were murdered during the "Cultural Revolution". The Cultural Revolution was the result of Mao Zedong's passionate desire to successfully turn China into a Communist nation. It was a bloody and sickening transition from "democracy" to communism, which resulted in deaths outside the scope of any American war or tragedy. But Mao succeeded in turning the nation into one whole equal class of people

That is, he succeeded by convincing citizens to use humiliating and deadly tactics. Citizens essentially killed or severely disgracing anyone of reput or higher class.

Chris became a success from his humble beginnings. He literally taught himself English. But he was restless. He looked like any average middle aged Chinese man, but inside of him burned a fire that was rare in the land of subdued passions.

He had a passion for orphans. Not only did he want all of them cared for, he wanted every one of them adopted...even to foreign parents!

The problem then: the Chinese government not only hid the existance of orphanages, they made darn sure foriegn nations did not see that there were such places. I don't know why, but the local officials had no tolerance for any involvement by foriegners. I assumed it was a "face" thing. China likes to look good. That means putting the lid on anything that looks less than successful. The height of Communism is a utopia. I don't think orphans are part of that picture.

I think it embarrassed them.

I only wanted to help them in any way I could while I was there, and Chris wanted to "save" them. He used to tell me he wanted to "save" them. And as you will see, he did.

To be continued...

2 comments:

mimiess said...

Can't wait to find out what happened next!

Only 3 boxes show up on the reactions rating line for me.

Charlie Foxtrot said...

I have had similar experiences when speaking to Chinese nationals in this country: according to many, there is no crime, injury, tragedy, or misfortune in China. ...sort of like how there are no gays in Iran.